Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Like A Rocket

When it comes to hot starts, it doesn't get any fiery than this. The Diamondbacks are sitting on a pretty six game division lead and have the best record in the the MLB. And last night Brandon Webb became the first pitcher this year to go 5-0. Of course, he won the game with a two-run RBI after the Giants got off to an early lead.

This, combined with the fact that my alarm goes off at the ungodly hour of 4:30 am, prompted me to turn off the game and go to bed. Then I dreamt we lost 33-9. I know it was a dream because not only did we win 5-4 but if the Giants ever scored 33 runs in a game, I'd be holed up in my nuclear bunker, enjoying a diet of Spam and bottled water because the end of the world would be pretty seriously nigh.

Webb isn't even the best hitting pitcher we've got. That honor belongs to Micah Owings, whose entertaining exploits have me eager to see which will be better, his ERA or his BA. I've seen Pwnings brought in to pinch hit. And if you're a pitcher and the other team sends in their pitcher to pinch hit, you might as well call it a day. That must be so embarrassing. I love it.

Pwnings is also unafraid to go after the ball. Couple of days ago, he went after an infield grounder and when there was no one covering the bag, he slid to first to get the out. It's a surprising play when you weigh the risk of injury against the rewards of merely getting the first out.

And before I forget, tip of the hat to Conor Jackson for being named NL Player of the Week. Nicely done, Gravity.

No comments: