Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Life, the Universe and Everything

Char here.

You know, I spent some time thinking about Jackie Robinson Day today at (because I'm certainly not going to waste my time thinking about my job). I've done some reading about it today, about comments that wearing number 42 should be reserved for players who bring diversity in any way or that teams without black players shouldn't wear it. After some thought, I've decided I disagree.

There is nothing wrong with honoring the man who broke the color barrier in Major League Baseball in a time when the world was segregated. Wearing his number is a reminder of how far we've come and hopefully, encouragement about how far we have still left to go.

His achievement, both in desegregation and as a talented ball player deserves our respect. There are far too few heroes, for a day, there's nothing wrong with venerating one of the greats.

Thank you, Jackie Robinson.

No comments: