Saturday, July 5, 2008

That sound you just heard was an ERA plummeting


I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million voices cried in hope that the Diamondbacks had finally turned things around and then were suddenly silenced.

In what has been a theme in recent weeks, the Diamondbacks proved themseselves reliable at being completely inconsistent. The night after they became only the second team in history to record five or more runs in the ninth inning with no outs, the Dbacks were back to business as usual, getting no-hit through five innings by a guy with an ERA as big as my shoe size.

To make it worse, my family was at this game and my mom called me to point out just how much the Dbacks suck. "Yes," I sighed, lying in the dark because I had been trying to sleep, "I know." And to think I had been disappointed to have to miss the game and a chance to see my boyfriend in person (by the way, Danny, you're looking good since you shaved off the mountain-man beard, keep it up).

The team did provide a few fireworks of its own before the first pitch, reshuffling a few things now that Byrnes is on the DL for the forseeable future. Outfielder Jeff Salazar was designated for assignment (sorry Sally) and Emilio Bonifacio was called up from Triple-A. Not quite sure how things are going to shake out - Gravity in left with Chad Tracy/Bonifacio on first?

Also, since his name is Emilio and I can't be bothered to look up how to spell his name all the time, I'm just going to start calling Emilio Bonifacio 'Mighty Duck.' And it's appropriate since he might as well be a sitting duck at the moment. Anyways, Mighty Duck did reasonably well in his season debut, coming in as a pinch runner for Tracy and then swiping third base, something I haven't seen anyone on this team do since April.

No comments: