Friday, July 4, 2008

The Comeback Kids



Yesterday, those damn Diamondbacks were being shut out for what felt like the millionth time this year. Bottom of the ninth, down 5-0, the end seemed a foregone conclusion.

What actually happened was the Dbacks won 6-5 after scoring six runs in the ninth before the Brewers' bullpen had managed to record a single out.

I'm still not entirely convinced I didn't make the whole thing up.

Hats off to the bottom-of-the-order bench players for getting on base. The Dbacks have been bit by the injury bug - Byrnes is out possibly for the season and poor poor Chris Snyder is recovering from his fractured testicle - so now's the time for these guys to step up. And they did when it counted.

Hammock singled (I always feel bad for him, caught a perfect game and now plays for Triple-A). Burke walked. Ojeda, the Littlest Ballplayer, singled. Bases loaded, nobody out and in comes Chad Tracy to pinch hit against LHP when everybody knows he can't hit lefties for shit. He tells everybody to shove it, and clears the bases with a double.

Score now 5-3, nobody out. Upton singles. Hudson doubles. Score now 5-4, runners on second and third and I'm about to have a heartache. I think I may have stopped breathing at some point.

Gravity's at the plate and I'm expecting Melvin to do something stupid like a squeeze play, because well, he's Melvin. I'm trying to watch the game with my hands over my mouth and IM Trinity at the same time and then Gravity loops a single over the drawn-in infield. Dbacks win, 5-6.

This game is being compared to the Comeback to End All Comebacks, Game Seven of the 2001 World Series. It might not have had as big an impact, but let me say it was most definitely awesome.

No comments: