Saturday, May 31, 2008

He's number two

In the midst of the Dbacks slump (which I'm not going to talk about right now because first, I don't want to think about getting swept by the Giants and losing last night to the Nationals and second, I want them all to go into their clubhouse and think about what they've done) their was one bright shining moment. One thing that left me excited and smiling:

Randy Johnson tied Roger Clemens for number two on the all-time strikeout list. He now has 4,672, good enough to share the second spot - for now. Barring any freak occurances, Johnson should surpass Clemens for second to Nolan Ryan on his next start.

Johnson came close to strikeout number 4,673 more than once, getting to strike two on three batters while the small crowd got to its feet and roared. He was able to get the outs but not the strikes. No matter. That will come in a few days.

I really enjoyed watching him go for the record. I've always counted myself that in a time where I didn't follow baseball regularly, I just happened to be watching the night Johnson threw his perfect game.

It's been an honor watching him make history.

No comments: