Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Shooting Gallery


Trinity and I have been following the WBC - well, more myself than Trinity since the poor thing temporarily lost access to the MLB Network (tell me, how did we survive before this channel? I'm a devout viewer; if my roommate comes home to find me watching it one more time, she may just kill me). It's been a lot of fun - and a great way to watch some baseball while we're still in the offseason. The highlight was watching the Netherlands. Cheering for the underdog is an American tradition and I was all for the Dutch, who defeated the Domincan Republic twice. Watching the Dutch play was intense - no matter how much trouble they got in, the bottom just refused to drop out; you keep waiting for their inevitable crushing to happen only it never does. Eventually though, the fighting Netherlands were eliminated by whichever members of Team USA still have full use of their limbs.

To say that the Americans have struggled with injuries is like saying Brad Pitt is only mildly good looking. Seems like everyday another one bites the dust. Last night, the only bench player they had left was the backup catcher. I expect to get a phone call recruiting volunteers to join the team any day now. The tough part is that injuries risk players being ready to start the season and make it harder for managers to support sending their guys to the tournament in the future. It's a shame - the WBC's been fun and it's great to see so many players from different teams interacting. If the tournament is to survive, Americans need and deserve to see their best players on what should be the world's grandest stage.

No comments: